Tuesday 8 April 2014

interview: Erik Wilson

On the Romanian set of Pumpkinhead 3 in April 2006 I grabbed a very quick word with cinematographer Erik Wilson.

How did you get this gig?
“I have known Jake West for three years through a common friend of ours, Adam Mason, and I have done a couple of small jobs with Jake: a little commercial and some extras for DVDs. We have been meeting for a while and always wanted to do something together. There was a plan that I was going to do Evil Aliens but then I had another job so I couldn’t do that so this was our first chance to work together. I’m doing IV as well with Mike Hurst.”

What are the problems of doing two films back to back?
“At first I didn’t think it was going to be a challenge because normally films are a seven-week shoot. But now, because of the schedule and the amount you have to cram into each day, it’s like two whole, separate films. Now we’re getting to the end of this one and I’m getting quite relieved, but knowing that I’m going to start the next one right afterwards. It’s going to be different and it’s going to be good to be different.”

How are you finding the Romanian crew?
“Great. I’ve been in Romania twice before. And in Morocco for The Hills Have Eyes, there were three people there from Romania. So I’m absolutely loving it, as a place to shoot and a place to come back to. Anka, who is now doing the second unit, was my focus puller for me for the last two films.”

No comments:

Post a Comment